Glenteenassig forest recreation area is one of the hidden wonders of the Dingle Peninsula. Glannteenassig means ‘Valley of the Waterfalls’. This sheltered valley sits in the foothills of the Slieve Mish mountains.behind the village of Aughacasla. With 1100 acres of woodland, mountain, lake and bog, there are wonderful walks, waterfalls and lakeside picnic sites.
The much loved old school building in the centre of Aughacasla village dates back to 1896. Locals staged an all night vigil here in 2000 to protect the disused building from demolition and save it for posterity. Village children now attend a new school nearby. Handwritten stories, poems and songs from the locality were collected from the school children here in 1938 and form part of the 'the School's Collection' archive at Dúchas.ie.
Set on high ground the village of Aughacashla looks out over Tralee Bay with great views of the The Maharee Islands. The seven islands are known locally as 'The Seven Hogs' and a bar in the village by this name has become a local landmark.
Directions: Aughacasla village is located on the north coast of the Dingle Peninsula, Co Kerry on the R560 approximately 5km to the west of Camp and 4km to the south east of Castlegregory. Tralee is 20km away,
From Tralee take the N86 west and at Camp Junction take the R560 andfollow the signs for the Conor Pass.
From Dingle take the Conor Pass road. Aughacasla is the next village after Stradbally.